Healthy-looking skin begins and ends with a healthy skin barrier. As skin’s number one line of defense against damaging stressors and dehydration, it needs regular care and maintenance. But what exactly is the skin barrier?
- Most simply, it’s the outermost layer of skin and the part you can see.
- It acts like a shield, keeping the bad stuff from entering and the good stuff from leaving the skin.
- It’s made up of cells and lipids that work together to protect skin.
- It’s responsible for making sure that water and electrolytes do not evaporate from skin.
Imagine your skin is a brick wall. Each brick is held in place with mortar. When your skin is healthy, nothing gets past the mortar. When your skin is unhealthy, it’s as if the mortar has loosened, letting bacteria and pollutants enter as water and nutrients escape. To maintain your proverbial “mortar” and have healthier skin, here are 4 steps that you can take.
- Utilize StriVectin skincare products, which prominently feature NIA-114™ our patented, optimized form of Niacin / Vitamin B3 clinically proven to strengthen the skin barrier.
- Lean on StriVectin formulas that are rich in ceramides and peptides, which counter environmental damage and the impact of lifestyle and behavior.
- Use Broad Spectrum Sunscreen (this can be found in products like StriVectin Advanced Retinol Day Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 to better protect skin from the sun’s dangerous rays.
- Be gentle! Use lukewarm water and avoid harsh ingredients and chemicals.